Monday, April 13, 2009

Long time with no posts, I know! I've been sort of addicted to Facebook recently so I have been doing a lot of my writing over there in tiny little bits. :) That said, we've been doing some fun stuff lately. Jamie is continuing to enjoy his classes at the Delaware Museum of Natural History. The class this month was called "What's Humming?", and it was about birds/insects of spring. Fun stuff! I am thinking about sending him to the summer camp they have there for a week or two this summer just for something fun for him to do, but I haven't made up my mind yet. Another option is the YMCA day camp for a week or two.

I have started to plan next year's schoolwork and will be placing my order shortly with Sonlight. I've decided to go with Core 2 (the followup to the world history we're doing this year--we are going up through the fall of Rome this year and next year we will go up through the beginning of the 20th century) with the 2 intermediate readers. I was thinking of doing the advanced readers because they are more his reading level, but looking at the language arts program that goes along with those readers, it's clear he needs the intermediate one. The advanced program has a lot of independent writing involved and he is just not there yet. One of the main things we're going to be working on next year is learning HOW to write.

Along with Core 2, we'll be doing Horizons math 3 (the Sonlight cores don't really correspond to grade level and in fact most people think it's best if you do them a year "behind", but he really is supposed to be in "third grade" next year and so we'll be doing third grade math) and probably a Latin program. I am excited about it--I think it will be a lot of fun, but I am also very looking forward to our summer break. We have about 8 more weeks of school to go which means we should finish up in mid-June.

I have also finally gotten back into meal planning! After I got back from my mom's earlier in the month I got lazy and we spent too much money eating out, but no more of that! I went to the grocery store today and was so proud of myself that I mostly purchased "ingredients" as opposed to prepackaged stuff. :) So here is my meal plan for this week:

Monday: spaghetti and meatballs, garlic cheese bread, salad
Tuesday: Citrus Roasted Chicken, Crash Hot Potatoes, veggies
Wednesday: pork chops, mac and cheese (for Jamie and me), mashed potatoes (for S), salad
Thursday: CORN/DIY night
Friday: meatloaf, mashed potatoes/mac and cheese, veggies
Saturday: chicken cutlets, french fries, salad
Sunday: fajita quesadillas

0 comments: